Spitballin

Ideas for making the forum better or fixing problems.
Harry
Site Admin

Spitballin

Post by Harry »

Considering expanding the topics for the forum. Considering I havent fired my foundry in a decade but I have a ton of other stuff going on I thought I might be able to post about it all here.

Basically taking all of the metalcasting stuff and putting it into a subforum and adding other subforums for other interests.

Curious as to what impact this might have on the folks who have kept this place pokin along over the years. It could possibly mean more traffic and from folks of other varies interests.

Dont want to upset what aint broke here so want to hear from others on this before I make any changes to the place.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
cae2100

Re: Spitballin

Post by cae2100 »

I'd be up for seeing what else everyone is up to, but usually we just stick it in off topic category really.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Sounds interesting. Richard is a sculptor and has done many other things, Chirpy makes all kinds of tools and machining, I know a little bit about almost everything. :D Latz is a drummer in a band, unfortunately we lost David Allen. Mike does all kinds of things down under and Frank checks in with his amazing artwork.
I'm not sure what you're thinking. Homesteading sites seem to do well, Self-sufficiency and gardening types. Other types of metalworking, woodworking, CNC and 3D printing. Just all different directions you could go.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Thats what I am noodlin Jerry, basically putting the forum as it is now into a category then opening new categories that can drill into other topics. You are absolutely correct in that there are many different directions to go, no limit as a matter of fact.

I have loads I want to organize somewhere and the thought was if it was done here there would be the encouragement to hang the bells and whistles on this place and drive it to become more active once again.

Cae, I get the offtopic use its just not effective for wider discussion on a topic of interest. Just thinking of broadening the topic base and possibly drawing in others with new interests that we may not have even considered yet.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

The thing I love most about this forum is how we have become a group of friends, and everyone else has gone away. It's like a group of guys who, over the years, meet at the pub or the club and play cards and drink beer and share stuff with each other. The way we used to do before the internet and video games.

The thing I like least is the lack of consistent activity. It gets lonely here sometimes. That was what Dave Allen brought to the party. Now that he is gone we have lost continuity.

This is obviously no longer a metal casting forum, but neither does it seem to be any other type of forum that I can make a name for.

David F has gathered the serious metalcasters together since the demise of Alloy Avenue, and is doing a fine job of it.

Harry: One thing that has been missing is your participation. The forum comes to life when you begin a round of posting, but then you disappear for months at a time until I start calling you on the phone to make sure you are still alive. That is the quality this place has for me; we actually care about each other. Hell, I've known you and Jammer for going on twenty years now. And the rest of you for at least ten.

In case anyone wonders what I look like:

Richard
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Looks like my first post was June 14, 2011. Almost 12 years ago...

wow does time fly...
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This is what I am trying to do Richard, make the forum a place where I want to post on a regular basis. I have so much going on in a wide variety of interests but I come here to post something and its always off topic... If I can make it the topic then there is a pretty damned good chance it will continue to draw me back. It doesnt hurt that I have been itching to document much more of my goings on but blogs or facebook havent really been the pull that keeps the fresh coming.

I have built communities in the past, small ones to very large so the understanding of the dynamic of an engaging presence is solid.

It looks like the consensus is that having this as a metalcasting forum isnt really a needed core and we can have a metalcasting subforum within a larger range of topics without any of the old timers taking issue with it. Also sounds like drawing in more folks with different interests will be a plus rather than a problem.

Going to get started over the coming weeks rearranging things. Most everything here now will remain, it will just be like one click deeper off the first page. Have to put together a plan on just how and what to include. Once I start I will open up a suggestion box for any changes or additions others would like to see.
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Nice seeing you BTW Richard, I will get a mugshot to put up soon myself. I will warn everyone ahead of time, it aint purdy ;-)
Muller
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I find your posts fascinating Harry. I am not much interested in gardening, although I seem to have a green thumb and can make plants grow and thrive. I'm kind of like old Henry Ford. He grew up on a farm, but all he wanted to do was work on the tractor. Still, your posts about gardening are interesting. What interest me most is your sawmill.

Richard
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Started working a little on the housekeeping here. Taking small steps on this. Scrolling down to post this I saw Richard again and remembered I need to get a mugshot of my own to add. Will try and remember that during the day.

Planted trees with my youngest daughter today and yesterday. We put in 4 Pines, 3 9' tall black willow that volunteered here last year and 2 desert willow that were also volunteers. Also put in 2 Rosemary bushes. Trying to create some windbreak for the goats and of course more trees is always better when you live in the desert.

We have gotten 10" of rain these last two months. Our annual average is 12" so its been pretty intense and welcomed amid this drought.

What would you like to see on the sawmill Richard? Its just a big bandsaw sideways and on rails with a 14hp Kohler gas engine turning it. I have had so much fun with it and for its first year I would say it has paid for itself between wood I have sold and projects I have done here on the property.
Muller