Referance material

Linked documents or member created reference materials, good reading for when its raining.
HT1

Re: Referance material

Post by HT1 »

D in the above image is chaplets holding the core centered. that is just SCARY in a cannon chaplets always introduce a potential weakness, and are to be avoided if possibe
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Thanks for that dallen, Good bit of info there :)

HT1, I will keep in mind what you have said about the chaplets. I don't plan on fireing an object out of it..... only making smoke 8-)
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
dallen

Post by dallen »

the book was a very interesting read, although at times it was kind of dry, most of the book delt with assaying and refined of metals like gold and silver.

there is one chapter in the book on how they layed out a gun barrel from the size of the ball it would fire, I will see about getting a piece of glass and see if I can get that part of the book snapped and post it some might fine it interesting.

DAvid
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

If you could that would be great :D
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
dallen

Post by dallen »

Nudge wrote:If you could that would be great :D
Give a day or two still trying to get cought up on the he do's around here.

on the big guns I don't know if you could see it or not in the photos but they would have a seperate breech plug for the mould and that let them put the supports into the barrel to hold the core for the barrel in alignment with both ends. HT1 said that he did like using chaplets for that and I can see where it would be a problem if when the barrel was poured the metal was too cold.

One thing that could be done is to make a pattern like yours in two parts one being the barrel and the other the breech, say you used a resin bonded sand, that way you could have the core extend into the breech for a solid anchor and have it protrude far enought that you would be able to have a (their words from the book) Feeding Head on the end to stop shrinkage. That should hold the core true, and promote Sequencial Shrinkage from the Breech to the muzzle.

Just some of my thoughts the subject, they may be wrong but from the reading and the casting, it seems like it should work.

David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette