Bronze casting...

Linked documents or member created reference materials, good reading for when its raining.
latzanimal

Bronze casting...

Post by latzanimal »

Thought this was interesting. Maybe you all have seen it already..

http://www.bronzebells.com/overview.htm

Harry, if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it....
HT1

Re: Bronze casting...

Post by HT1 »

http://www.bronzebells.com/plaques.htm

I'm curious about their pricing, I'm making 5 X 8 custom name plates for $45.00. Am I being way too nice with my prices??? :shock:

P.S. I found a Supper awsome easy way to make those perfect rope borders, for a cookie I will share
dallen

Post by dallen »

I would say that yes your too low in your pricing, and thats not from looking at the other website. you have how many hours in making just the pattern.

hope you like chocolate chip
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I think a plaque that size would be worth a lot more than that

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I also agree the price seems way too low. Heck there is probably $10 worth of brass there. If it were the same part over and over $45 might be on the mark but you need to compensate yourself for the pattern work. Double the price and see what the customers say, I would think anyone who has even the slightest understanding of what they are buying wont bat an eye.

Watch out for the dark side, they may have cookies over there but Davids over there too.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
HT1

Post by HT1 »

Harry wrote:I would think anyone who has even the slightest understanding of what they are buying wont bat an eye.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3593_n.jpg

I seriously doubt it, I had a customer try to Talk me down from $45, told me he could buy a plaque for $25.00, I asked him where, He said the local engraving shop. He was comparing lazer engraved wood to brass. I think he was kind of mad when I Told him I was getting $25.00 for the wood, and $20.00 for the brass.

No one has any pride, or wants to pay for craftsmanship anymore.

Ebay is not helping, because everyone has some tale about the great deal they got on an antique plaque... Which I was making for the Navy 20 years ago. so they of course already been paid for, and now they are just a bargen on E-bay.

I'm still looking for a pricing point, but since most "Navy" plaques are selling for $45-65, I have to get in there, or I wont sell anything

There all ranted out.

P.S.

How many bells you think that fellow sells in a year??? there just cannot be that much of a market
dallen

Post by dallen »

alot moe bells then you do plaques I would hazard to guess, they been in business a long time.

Whats the easy way you found to do the rope border, you using then little twisted pasta's placed end to end and hot glued in place

HT1

Post by HT1 »

dallen wrote:alot moe bells then you do plaques I would hazard to guess, they been in business a long time.

Whats the easy way you found to do the rope border, you using then little twisted pasta's placed end to end and hot glued in place

Not even Close

The closest I have come to pasta in castings Is adding wood flour and corn starch to green sand.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

They sell wooden border pieces at the craft store but I don't remember rounded corners. They are split in half for making wooden decoration on shelves, frames and such.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

HT1 wrote:
dallen wrote:alot moe bells then you do plaques I would hazard to guess, they been in business a long time.

Not even Close

The closest I have come to pasta in castings Is adding wood flour and corn starch to green sand.
I don't know how pretty it would be but I could take a piece of 10 gauge solid copper wire and twist it with a drill to make a pretty nice border, but I bet thats not what you did, is it?.