Alabama Iron Pour....sort of..?

dallen

Re: Alabama Iron Pour....sort of..?

Post by dallen »

when you stick a piece of 3/8" rebar in and give it a stir and you pull it out and most of the end is missing your hot enough to pour. if you pull it out and its just started to melt your not hot enough.

Irons funny in that a small crucible say an A10 once you turn the burner off will the temp will drop like a rock in a swimming pool, like Jammer said the pool in the crucible should be a up close to white, the conditions your pouring under will determine what color you will be looking at.

good pouring temp is around 2800

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:You would just have to judge the temp by color. I think DavidF says he looks for straw white. Just past yellow straw color and not quite white hot.
Stopping everything to try to get the temp with the pyrometer is kind of a hassle. Hopefully I can get faster with it and remember to look at the right scale.

dallen wrote:when you stick a piece of 3/8" rebar in and give it a stir and you pull it out and most of the end is missing your hot enough to pour. if you pull it out and its just started to melt your not hot enough.

Irons funny in that a small crucible say an A10 once you turn the burner off will the temp will drop like a rock in a swimming pool, like Jammer said the pool in the crucible should be a up close to white, the conditions your pouring under will determine what color you will be looking at.

good pouring temp is around 2800

DA
Thank you
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Going to go back to Tannehill this weekend. They are doing another Iron pour. I'm going to try to meet up with Zapins from AA. There's also a blacksmith meeting going on, I'm going to sneak in a and check out a couple things and meet a guy from one of the Forge forums that I haven't been kicked off of yet. :P
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

one of the Forge forums that I haven't been kicked off of yet. :P
I hear those forge guys are quick to ban any man who chooses to differ with them.

Richard