Alabama Iron Pour....sort of..?

Jammer

Alabama Iron Pour....sort of..?

Post by Jammer »

Drove down to Birmingham AL. last Saturday for an Iron pour. The event was put on by the Alabama Art Casters, http://www.alabamaartcasting.org They set up at the Tannehill Furnace Park, http://www.tannehill.org/ There were 3 cupolas there but they only fired up one. He told me it could tap about 75# of Iron per tap 4 times per hour, maybe more. This was the first pour of the year so they said they had to make sure they dried the cupola out very well before charging. After about an hour of running with Coke, they charged the first Iron. 8 minutes later they had a small amount of Iron coming out the tap hole. They plugged the hole and charged coke and Iron for about 15 more minutes. You could see the drops of iron dropping in the peep holes in the tuyere. after a few more minutes, the decision was made to tap. They brought in the pre-heated ladle and removed the bot plug..... nothing. They poked around some more and realized the iron had solidified in the bottom. Not enough pre-heat. We felt bad for them. I had done a scratch block to be pour in Iron. It will have to wait until next month.
The scratch block is a resin sand cast block with a 1/2 inch depression in it. You inscribe whatever you want in it. Then the cavity is filled with Iron and cooled. Then it's broke out and you have a plate of Iron with whatever you scratched in raised up in the casting. I got some info on getting some resin to mix with sand.
Attachments
006.JPG
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Re: Alabama Iron Pour....sort of..?

Post by Rasper »

Can they salvage the cupola, or is it plugged up with solidified iron?

Richard
dallen

Post by dallen »

that sucks hope it dumped out enough that they could clean it out, should of had more air in to bring the heat up before charging. wonder if they were supplying air thru the spout till the fire was above the windbelt.

from the photo Jammer posted it looks like when the dropped the door it dumped pretty good.

I would build a small cupola if I could get coke at a reasonable price here in OK, but I'd probably only get to run it in a thunderstorm due to everyone being scared of grass fires.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I wish we had something like that close to here, I have approached the local Historical village on a number of occasions to try and set up a foundry, and try and build it to something were we can do demonstrations of all manner of castings, but they won't let me

Dave, a few years back I was able to buy coke by the 44 gallon drum for $50 a drum, it was from a coke research station and they sold off the coke to fund Christmas party's and such. I do believe its still available
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

mite5255 wrote: Dave, a few years back I was able to buy coke by the 44 gallon drum for $50 a drum, it was from a coke research station and they sold off the coke to fund Christmas party's and such. I do believe its still available
Shipping might be a killer on that one, price sounds nice though.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

They had a propane burner in the tap hole to start and then turned the gas off to heat the lower area. I don't think they left it in long enough. As soon as they dropped the bottom they pried out most of the iron through the taphole and bottom. Then they got on top and used the rod the beat the rest of the iron off the walls. I think the fellow that was acting as the Iron Master was very tired and slept most the afternoon. Either he worked his job at a foundry all night or partied in the cabin all night.
I talked to a fellow last year that will sell me 50# bags of coke or by the ton. I still need to get back in the woods behind my house and see if there is really piles of coke left from a coal mine back in the 20's. Too far to walk and I don't have a quad ... Yet!
Attachments
You can see the burner here. The blower fan is a little small and the first blower motor crapped out on them. I think they should have run the big blower in through the taphole for about 15 to 20 minutes before plugging and then charge the Iron.
You can see the burner here. The blower fan is a little small and the first blower motor crapped out on them. I think they should have run the big blower in through the taphole for about 15 to 20 minutes before plugging and then charge the Iron.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Inexperience or sheer stupidity on the guy's part. Anyone who's messed with furnaces much, particularly melting iron, knows it takes longer to do iron than aluminum or bronze. I knew by your narrative he moved along far too quickly, nor wait long enough nor "LOOK" at the tell tale signs the melt was even close to being ready when he shut down to pour. There's a guy here in Alaska that puts on a show like this for the public and interested artists, primarily to shine his own ego in hopes to impress someone with his skills and bravery mess'n with hot shit but the quality of anything he's cast (other than an ingot) is nothing to dare brag on about or pat yourself over.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

They came out and said what they were doing in each step and said the burn-in was going to be about an hour and a half. After about 45 minutes they got a little antsy a started to charge Iron.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

G'day Frank, long time no see
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

mite5255 wrote:G'day Frank, long time no see
Been massively busy with my job lately. Also, the wife and I listed our home for sale three weeks ago and pretty much been living in an empty shell of a house so's to keep it "showable" for interested buyers at any time and any day. What a pain.... Anyway, we got an offer (low ball offer) which I countered and they ultimately accepted. Now, the paperwork is in the mill and hope soon we'll have the place sold so we can finish packing our things and head back to Washington state and boot out our renters in our home there, then live there and bust ass again to sell that house. Meanwhile, once we relocate, I'll be working online remotely via internet plus flying back and forth as projects demand. Can't say there will be much opportunity for me to check in very often. Hell, I'm tired each evening as it is from work'n from 7 am till 7 pm each day, then also having to deal with a hour commute each way. I literally get home, shower, grab a bite, and hit the rack. Up atn 5:30 am and start the routine all over again. Weekends are spent sorting through our stuff and packing what we care to keep in boxes. And to think... once we get down south this crap is going to start all over again. All I can hope and pray for is for that place to sell quickly so we can get to Missouri and buy us a place (cash out) and settle down once and for all. Then I'm retiring. FUCK work!! I've had it.