Lodge Visit

Photos of old Iron or new.
Jammer

Lodge Visit

Post by Jammer »

Visited the Lodge Foundry last weekend during the National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg, TN. It was about 5 miles from our house. I put it in this thread instead of opening a new one. South Pittsburg began as an Iron Smelting town back near the end of the Civil War. When better Iron deposits were found in Alabama, the furnace closed here and moved to Birmingham. One of the workers here decided to stay and start a foundry, he was Mr. Lodge and began casting skillets and cooking utensils. Now they make some of the best cast iron cookware you can find. They are expanding, now I believe they have 2, 4 ton induction furnaces and are able to put out over 400 pieces a day. When the expansion is done they may be able to double their production.
Correction, they do not use resin bonded sand, just very hard packed greensand.
They use all resin bonded sand and standard Grey Iron, about 3.5% carbon, 1.3% Silicon. The sand molds are stacked vertically, like books, with each section having the cope on one side and the drag in the other, if that makes sense to anyone. Hopefully the pictures will show it better. The filled molds are dumped into a tumbler tube that separates the sand from the finished skillet. The sand goes back and is recycled while the skillet is sent down the line where it's sandblasted cleaned and pre-seasoned, so it's ready to cook when you get it out of the box. The lab is very similar to the one I worked in at the mill in Ohio. I really miss it and really, REALLY wanted to work here. My health just isn't cooperating.
Here is the sand mold, each section has both the top and bottom of the pattern, then stacked together in long sections.
This is a custom skillet, they make a lot like these for all sorts of schools and companies.
Finished skillet, heading for the seasoning ovens. It's sprayed with vegetable oil and heated to cook it to the surface. Keeps them from rusting and all you have to do is give it a quick cleaning with a little soap, rinse and it's ready to cook. Just a little cleaning and re-oil after use so it's ready for next time. Don't scour it, the blacker it gets the better. Good old fashioned non-stick surface. We already have a good set started. Sales pitch is done. :)
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Re: Old Industry

Post by Rasper »

There is nothing like a cast iron frying pan. It amazes me that people pay all that money for those high priced shiny pans when cast iron is far better. Your food doesn't stick to a cast iron pan.

I grew up in Virginia, in tobacco country. That's all anyone used there.

Richard
Jammer

Re: Lodge Visit

Post by Jammer »

My neighbor invited me down to Lodge for a walkthrough. I jumped in the jeep and flew down the mountain. They were running a little on the slow side. The furnaces were on hold because they had to stop production for some repairs. They have both 10 ton furnaces on line and are running them pretty slow because there are 2 new DISSA molding lines that aren't quit ready to run yet. When they get going, that place will be crazy. What I didn't know was there are pots on each line that they pour the Iron in, seal it up and pressurize it. That's what pushes the Iron to the gate that fills the molds. The pot also has an induction coil in the bottom to keep the heat up on the Iron. He said it can't heat too much, just enough to keep the Iron at temp.
Here's one of the furnaces with the ladle ready for Iron.

This is one half of the steel mold in the DISSA machine that makes the greensand mold. I had said earlier that it was resin bonded sand, but it's just plain old greensand. It's cycled back through the system, cooled, add water, mix, temper and test, all automatically, then back through the machine.

Iron going into the mold, it's a vertical pour.

This is some Iron that they pigged. They do that when they have some left overs and if the chemistry is off in the furnace. They cast some pigs and add new scrap and adjust the chemistry again. I think the pigs are about 1000 pounds. They put them back in for production or fill the furnace with them after a reline and bring the heat up slowly to sinter the lining.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

That would be great to watch. The company that I work for have a iron and brass foundry ( http://www.nibf.com.au/ https://www.wsaa.asn.au/ProductAppraisa ... ttings.pdf ) but their about a two day drive north of here, I have been told if ever I want to visit I'll be given a letter of introduction and hopefully get the grand tour :)

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

problem with Lodge pans is that they aren't smooth on the inside,

wonder if they would let e use one of the induction units they have?

NIce photo's, thanks for posting.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette