replys to Jammer studio

Jammer

replys to Jammer studio

Post by Jammer »

Here's where you can tell me I'm nutz or need a new hobby. Just testing this out. :P
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Re: replys to Jammer studio

Post by dallen »

your not nuts you just need to move that shop closer to me :lol: :lol:
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

When I finely do retire I'll be rejoining the local blacksmiths at the local historical village http://www.historicalvillage.com.au/ check out the video the person doing the hammer work at the end is a mate of mine ;)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

We can volunteer at the train museum. The forge is part of it and when they have special events, we can set up a forge at the main station to demo. Whatever we sell we can keep the money. I'm just not good enough to sell anything. I thought about setting up the small furnace and doing some small castings, railroad plaques or something.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Jammer wrote:We can volunteer at the train museum. The forge is part of it and when they have special events, we can set up a forge at the main station to demo. Whatever we sell we can keep the money. I'm just not good enough to sell anything. I thought about setting up the small furnace and doing some small castings, railroad plaques or something.
Keep believe'n you "CAN'T" and it'll become fact. I am the worst salesman there is on the planet. I have a face that scares babies, makes gorgeous women cringe, and grown men look at me like I'm a fool. Never mind the fact I LOVE BABIES, have phenominal respect for woment, and have saved the ass of countless men either in combat, business matters, or just plain given advice in how to overcome their problems. I was BORN with this facial expression and endured flack from it my entire life, thru teachers, neighbors, relatives, supervisors and employers. BUT... bottom line, that what I truely, soulfully, believe in I can sell to the devil himself. If your product isn't gaining the attention it deserves, consider the audience you're projecting it to. My alter major in college was devient psychology, how the mind perceives stemuli. That course of instruction saved my life and gave me what I needed to get past people's perceptions and communicate on a level they each would understand. If you have doubts in your abilities, feel free to address them to me. I can help you better communicate with folks that are outside your normal circle of associates. Case in point... I was the worst offender of lack of respect toward military command during my two tours of duty with the military. Long after I had discharged from service it occurred to me the error of my ways. I realized what it was that high ranking officials considered the norm as to their association, and communication amongst one another regarding their committed responsibilities. If I could "cold turkey", sell a room full of high ranking brass on a pipe dream of mine to produce a shit load of art all on government time, government money, and even outside their relm of oversight and responsibility, and pull it off to everyone's satisfaction, then I can help the least of y'all in similar endevors ya might care to explore. Trust and believe, not just in yourself, your work, but in the advice worthy of applying. "IF" you BELIEVE in yourself, and your product, or ideas, others will see and believe in the engergy you give off. It's that simple. I made a post earlier about doing research to determine the mindset of the populace on what they might perceive attractive and worth pay'n money for. Do your homework. KNOW your audience. Have both set in place when you present your product the damn stuff will sell itself.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Thanks Frank, I really just meant I'm not good enough at forging yet! ;) I've only done a few things over the last couple months. To be honest, I'm doing much better than some that have been there a lot longer.
I have always been of the mind that.. If one man can do it, another man can! Or woman.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

You're absolutely on tract, Jerry... if one can, so can another. I've also been of the mindset that if a man designed something, another can see improvement and make it better. Ford produced a diesel truck years ago that had a fault in the mounting bracket that supported the idler pulley bracket off the front engine case. They only produced that model of truck that one year, realizing that screwup, plus others, they voided that model and made something better. There were only a limited supply of those mounting brackets in stock which, after many people bought them to fix what ended up failing (even the replacements failed in short time, each causing the alternator to misallign, overheat, and catch fire), those that had that model had to scour junk yards in hopes to find one cause the supplies had run out. I owned one of those nightmares. I replaced mine three times, each time the alternator caught fire and got destroyed leaving me stranded. The last time it happened I sat and stared at the connection and the bracket intensely till a vision come to me as to what was causing the failure. It occurred to me all it needed was a different shape of bracket that had an extension that would reach to yet another bolt on that case which would provide the torque support necessary to keep it from fatiguing, getting out of alignment, and ultimately warping causing the belt to shred and everything going to hell. I took some stainless steel platestock and hammered myself a new design, heat treated it and installed it on the motor with everything mounted to it and gave it a test. That bracket never did fail for the life of that truck. I thought about mass producing my design and selling it to the parts stores but by that time everyone was so disgusted with that model truck it took on such a bad reputation that everyone was get'n rid of theirs and buy'n something new. So, I let it go. Nobody was interested in trying some local yokel's new gizmo device on their truck that has already cost them several heartaches due the repetitive failures. Now, had I been work'n at Ford back then I'd probably been given a bonus check and a pat on the back for my design but you know full well Ford would have taken that ball from me and run with it for their own profit. Bottom line... never believe ya can't make something better, or learn someone's skills with as much quality and perfection. It just takes mental devotion, time and application. Keep at your forge/foundry work and you'll soon be so far out there on your own have'n a good time you'll come to realize when you talk to folks about what you do they'll look at you like you're speaking Mandarin Chineese and won't/can't invision what you're saying. I don't know if it's been just luck or actual skills learned but there come a time when eventually my mentor (the guy that was mentoring me in foundry knowledge) told me I had gone beyond his limit of exposure and has picked my mind on casts he wanted to try. That moment in time left me dumfounded. How could that be when I, personally, felt I was just a novice and unsure of myself in so many things. Well... I still think I'm a learner and probably always will. I have limits but only due to not having a desire/time/materials, etc., to attempt and end run to achieve past it. If I reach that impasse more than twice I devote the time/materials/experimentation to master a method that works I can add to my skill set... and move on. I've forgot more over the past several years than I've applied which makes me feel like I'm back bein a noobie. Fortunately, though, I kept journals I can refresh my mind with once I'm back up and running with the shop.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That shop is killer Jammer, I imagine its a pretty easy decision to join though the tough part would be when to stay home.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Tell me about it Harry!!! We have open forge on Thursdays and since Christmas and New Years fell on Thursday there's no forge until the 8th of January. I still don't have electric in my garage and it's cold and rainy here, so I've been sitting on the couch a lot.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Been cold here too, low 20s at night. Has had me thinking its a good time to turn wheels into ingots, have 10 or 15 of them waiting and since that is one of the things I need to get done I can check it off the list along with lighting the burner because I use the same on both furnaces. From there all thats left is mulling and pounding sand.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller