Loading Dock

Harry
Site Admin

Loading Dock

Post by Harry »

Started selling firewood last year to unload logs not suitable for milling. We probably delivered 100 cords of wood through winter and I came out with about 30 cords of logs good for milling. Last spring I only had maybe 3 cords.

Anyhow, wood we split is stacked right into a 1/2 cord box off the splitter to minimize handling. I strap these boxes onto the forks of my tractor and dump them into a 6 x 10 dump trailer for delivery. Its about as lazy as you can get doing firewood.

A half cord is right at the limit of the lift capacity and clearing the sides of the trailer at the limit of the height so I have been wanting to build a loading dock and puzzling it out for months. Finally took a few hours today to put it together, cut some 36" diameter logs in half and covered it using some off cuts from the mill, those both make it look better but also tie everything together. The thought was once stack of logs might shift but all together are much less likely.

This will make loading exponentially easier next season. We have also really worked over the whole woodlot with a windbreak wall, tool room. long tables for miter and table saws and a huge 5' x 12' table on the splitter that doubles as a great work surface.

20230324_143937.jpg
20230324_143956.jpg
20230324_150918.jpg
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Loading Dock

Post by Harry »

In the last picture the mill is shown and over the horizon the top of the Cow Pen is visible.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller