Flintstones cyclonic separator

Harry
Site Admin

Flintstones cyclonic separator

Post by Harry »

First piece of wood I ran through the new surface planer told me I had to have dust collection for it.

The speed of the cutting drum is so high it charges the chips with static and they stick to everything. Sort of looks like those Bee Beards some crazy fuckers do. Just covering walls and whatever and dripping off.

So I looked around at what I had on hand, a log, a trashcan and some conduit off a job from a career now long past.

Using a chainsaw, an impact driver and a jigsaw this is what I came up with and surprisingly it works pretty good. Good enough that I am going to add a dust bag and do a little sealing but damn, for out f the box... err, tree. It works and thats what counts.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Flintstones cyclonic separator

Post by Harry »

20230404_171549.jpg
20230404_171556(0).jpg
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I will get some pictures of the innards that really make this work. Basically there is a another board on the bottom of the log with a slot on the outer circumference about 2/3rds the way around maybe 1 1/2" wide and angled out and the conduit out the top goes just through that bottom board so chips circle in the log until they drop through the slot and the whole body of the trash can and the log are swirling to force chips outward. The final outlet which is the vertical conduit is in the center where there is very few chips left floating.

Simple concepts put to work.
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This was of course just a quick slap together to get the job done. Proof of concept sort of thing. About an hour or so using just what was nearest to hand.

I have been wanting to do some glue up bender board stuff and this circle seems like a great opportunity to work on that. On the mill I can cut 1/8" slices that are super flexible. A little wood glue and we will have a laminated home made plywood circle like one of Latz's drums to really knock this up well for something that will survive the test of time as a functional piece of shop.
Muller
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Nice.... don't forget the fancy finish. :D