Southern Ohio Travels

Jammer

Southern Ohio Travels

Post by Jammer »

We traveled down to Southeastern Ohio for some time out of the house. There are many State parks and the Wayne National Forrest. We were in the Hocking Hills State Park and Old Man's Cave. I couldn't walk many of the trails but had a good time driving around.
Attachments
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG
Last edited by Jammer on Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Jammer

Re: Southern Ohio Travels

Post by Jammer »

We spent a day over the Ohio River in Point Pleasant West Virginia. Does anything come to mind? ... How about the Mothman? We went with my Sister-in-law and her husband and she wanted to see the statue and look around. 8-)
Attachments
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

This area is also the Hanging Rock Iron Region so there are many Old Iron furnaces in the area, most of them built in the 1800's. I wanted to go to Buckeye Furnace, it has been rebuilt and has a museum, but it doesn't open until April. I tried again to find Vinton Furnace, it's out in the woods near McArthur Ohio. Too wet and too much of a hike. So, we went to the Hope Lake Park and looked at Hope Furnace. It's a nice park and the furnace is near the road. My Sister-in-law jumped into the creek and pick up some slag from the Iron production.
Also there was a brick furnace near Nelsonville that was kind of cool. And then, Release your Inner Sasquatch. :lol: :lol: :D
Attachments
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

So much history scattered around back there, those furnaces are really cool. Imagine the effort to build and run one of those and what came out of them, plows in the mail order catalog for $5 is the sort of thing I think of.

Looks like you folks had a great time. We need to get out and explore more. The wife just works so much and I usually find ways to keep myself busy too. We are going to have 10 days this month, hoping to get some pictures of adventures to share.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller