Midget White Turkey

Harry
Site Admin

Midget White Turkey

Post by Harry »

Last year I ordered 25 chicks through the mail sent as day olds. Of these we promptly lost 10, they seem more fragile than chickens in that first week or so though I certainly saw mistakes I had made also that could have improved the numbers.
MWT Chick 01.png
MWT Chicks Brooder 01.png
As they matured we harvested extra Toms, I staggered them to get a solid idea on timeline for filling out a nice bird. At 20 weeks we processed one that was about 12lbs, it obviously had not filled out the breast. The Midget White Turkey (MWT) is a broad breasted breed, essentially a miniature of the ones purchased in the store only the mature between 10 and 18 lbs (Hens/Toms) instead of 20 to 30lbs.

At 20 weeks the breast was certainly filling in and processed out at 14lbs. I was going to do another at 24 weeks but a few got out and my dog helped herself to one of them, cant say as I blame her as they are quite tasty :-) This left me with 2 Toms to process and 2 to keep and I had promised a xMas bird to a friend and of course we needed one for ourselves. so the 24 week slot got passed up.

I processed 2 at 28 weeks (7 months) and the difference over those last two months was pretty huge. I still dont know what the 24 week mark will look like but will find out this year. With 4 new incubators we are keeping them going with chicks hatching, the goal is to provide us with plenty to butcher plus expand on the flock for next year along with selling chicks and later breeding trios and ready to butcher or oven ready birds. If I can earn enough to cover the food cost of the flock for the year then it will be easy to keep raising these for ourselves and others.
Cooked Turkey 01.png
These last birds processed at 28 weeks had large full breast and more importantly had built some really nice fat on them. They were truly delicious Turkeys and sold me on them for the food side of the equation.
MWT Eggs 01.png
The other side was the sustainability, would they breed so we could hatch chicks here unlike the xCross Chickens that you cannot breed on your own. That was answered this year as our 8 Hens began laying. It was a month or so into the laying before the Toms figured things out and we began to see the indication of being fertile in the eggs.
MWT Hens 01.png
That puffed colorful fatty stuff and hanging Snood on the Tom are remarkable. He will puff himself up and then all of that goes away, color and all. That 6" long hanging Snood will become an inch long sticking up off the top of his head, all the red and blue will fade and waves of whatever those gobs are hanging on his neck will shrink back leaving one to wonder how the hell do they do that and in the span of maybe half an hour to boot.

Not sure if these things are Dinosaurs or Octopuses.
MWT Mating 01.png
I began setting eggs every week to 10 days and we are currently on our second batch of hatching. have had some small issues with humidity control we are working out so our hatch rate is lower than we would like to see but the fertility rate was very high so optimistic is the word.
MWT Incubator 01.png
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Midget White Turkey

Post by Harry »

The chicks I ordered last year that became our starter flock were $15 each btw, once losses were factored in they came out at $25 each. I am selling Week old chicks as they are much hardier then and charging $15 each for them.

The 2 Toms and 8 Hens that comprise our current flock cost about $2.50 a day so for a year will be just a bit south of $1K annually to feed.

Each Hen is capable of 60 to 80 eggs a year so 8 Hens should provide 480 to 640 eggs and if I can sell just 60 chicks a year for a flock this size that covers the feed cost for the flock. This leaves us with quite a lot of room for these animals to actually be a net positive on cost to keep. If everything continues on the positive track it has been on so far I can foresee 4 flocks this size staggered in ages so we always have fresh Hens and Toms coming along. From what I have read cycling them out at 3 or 4 years is the norm and I have read some claims that even at 3+ years old they are good oven birds. Even if not the best for us to eat they will certainly be a welcome addition to our dogs diets.

We are going to raise out a lot more birds for our own consumption this year along with testing the water for selling both ready to butcher and ready to cook birds around the holiday. Looking forward to harvesting some Hens this year for more compact finished birds that are closer to chicken size and also trying all manner of other further processing like smoked deli breasts, ground meat for burgers and sausage, jerky for both us and for the dogs and whatever else we might come up with when there is an abundance of birds to harvest.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Your posts are very interesting. I guess you don't get much response from us because we don't know what to say. this is something I know so little about i can't even think of questions to ask.

Anyway, keep it up. It is fascinating.

Richard
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Beautiful Birds, look tasty too. I miss having animals, but I don't miss the work.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks guys, any feedback tells me someone is watching. I would love to document more of what I have going on here and begin to fill out the forum with a wide range of topics.

The Cornish Cross Chickens are amazing in the conversion of feed to food. I have raised and processed thousands of them and there is no denying the end product is great but it takes 6 different breeds all on starvation diets to produce them so regular people cant sustain them, you can only purchase chicks, if something goes awry with the supply of chicks like a couple years back when bird flu shut down areas where they can be shipped or other restrictions like the possibility of the post office ending the cheap overnight shipping of them.

Those concerns along with my personal disgust with the breed due to the propensity to die for lack of desire to walk three feet to water and the eat and poop life they live for the 42 to 49 days they are out of the egg. The chicken we buy in the store is amazing from an animal that only lived for about a month and half, the Cornish Game Hens (Any that are processed under 2 lbs) are less than a month old. Often these birds are processed before they even have full plumage.

The conversion of feed to food is 2 to 1 with them so a 5lb chicken costs 10lbs of feed + the cost of the chick amortized over the losses it can be around $4 per chick. Add in the $4 of feed and you have an $8 chicken that the grocery store sells for $5 to $12 depending on the day of the week you go shopping it seems.

All of these concerns and observations leave me digging these MWT.
Muller

Return to “Raising Animals for Meat”