My Hand Planes

Jammer

Re: My Hand Planes

Post by Jammer »

OUCH!! And everything was going so well. Planes and gouges look great as usual. I may make myself some gouges but I think I'll use a clamp. :roll:
You use the wood from your woodpile. I did that a couple years. I bought some cheap bundles of slab wood but I kept pulling out interesting pieces to use for projects I probably never got around to.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

lol, we all need a break sometimes, so I just gave myself a good enough excuse, lol. Really, Im going stir crazy since I was so close to finishing up a bunch of projects, and now I cant work on any of it since I cant get grinding dust and junk in the cuts. As for the chisels, youre more than welcome to come out here and we'll forge some more of them out, that style is extremely easy to make tbh, and I have all of the swages and such here.

The wood from the wood pile, we bought this truckload of cubes from some guy out in amish country, and when the guy got here, it was probably the longest semi truck trailer I had ever seen and it was packed clear full of cubes, lol. There was at least 3 winters worth of firewood in it. Most of it is just large end grain blocks of oak or ash or other wood that isnt good except as firewood, and blocks that arent actually long enough to do much with. Although once in a while, you find cherry and maple that is side grain and long enough to make stuff out of, so I tend to grab that kind of things out, which Ive really only gotten maybe a half a dozen pieces off so far. I try to keep the amount of wood I keep supplied to a bare minimum since I dont want to deal with moving it around or finding somewhere to put it at, so I only keep the pieces that are something really special, otherwise it just goes into the wood burner with the rest of the firewood.

But yea, if you wanted to forge the stuff out, just let me know and come on out.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I plan on coming over sometime this year. I trying to think how we can get you here to see the Copper works, the engine guy and the surplus place. The surplus isn't that great anymore, don't seem to have as much interesting stuff. We could do the other 2 in a day, neither is very far from me. The engine guy will just keep us until midnight if we let him. His son is more interesting as he does the patterns and has designed his own engines.

I worked on cleaning up the garage today. Almost made it to the wood lathe. I need to get it back together and motored up so I can play. You made your own turning tools didn't you? I just need to find some bed frame to make some. Weird how I used to see the frames out on the street all the time, now that I want one I don't see any. Scrap price is high so it's getting scarce.

How is the hand doing? I managed to try to run a screwdriver into my palm yesterday. Hertz Donut?? :P :?
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

lol, Ill try to make it over there sometime this summer, just everything's been so crazy that we havnt had time to even think really, lol. The hand is healing up very nicely, but Ive always healed very quickly anyhow, so Ive been out cutting up stuff with the angle grinder and grinding stuff last few days so I can get those planes done up, lol.

I wouldnt use bed frame for the lathe turning tools, I think they would flex too much since they're only 1/8" thick. I usually forge my stuff out of really large spring washers, or coil spring tbh. I have a bunch of that stuff here, so if you wanted to hammer some out, it's all yours. I usually take one loop of coil spring and forge it flat to around 1/4" thick, then to tangs on each end, and cut it in half, that way I can make the tools that I want and it saves alot of trouble holding the tools and time heating stock and forging out multiple blanks.

Screwdriver into palm... Ive kinda done that a few times, mostly cordless drill into hand when Im trying to screw something into the wall at a wierd angle and the screw takes off on me while Im holding it, so yea, it's not smart to do, lol.
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

I did manage to get out to the shop today and finish grinding and machining the parts for the side planes done up using the shaper, all that's really left is to just do a little filing on the bed seats of the planes, but that wont take long, and need to heat treat the blades still.
20240419_211015.jpg
20240419_211043(1).jpg
20240419_211202.jpg
So those are now in the toolbox and put away, only minor tune up stuff is left beyond heat treating the blades, but that's super easy to do really and Ill do it when I go out to forge a bunch of stuff out again. For now, those are all done.

Well, that's another one off the list and $200 saved, lol.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ra_VLj1nM&t=153s

Just watched your video and you really thought this out. My question is how many hours did you spend on these planes. Your craftmanship is inspiring. OK, I may be inspired but I don't think I'll be trying any of these. :)
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

It's hard to say how long it really took to make the planes tbh.

I know the miter planes, it probably took 15 mins to bend them around the form and get them squared up and such since the forge was already hot, took maybe an hour at the mill to rough out the dovetails on both of them, 3-4 hours of filing to shape dovetails and such, 30 mins to peen the dovetails, then probably two or three of grinding and lapping. The wood probably took 5-6 hours to get everything just perfect with the planes, rasp and files (it was a snug press fit into the steel body, so they wont come back out), and a few days of adding shellac and sanding in between, then a coat of paste wax on everything. It took longer to pickle all of the steel in between the steps to give it an even texture, and also a few days of pickling just to remove the mill scale off of the steel and from the parts. So in all, it probably took a week to do up one of those planes even tho most of the time was from the pickling and finishing, and fine tuning the fit of everything just perfectly.

Without the finishing and pickling, I'd say probably in all with all of the metal work, cutting everything up, etc, it probably took 15-18 hours, but as I was just doing it as a winter project and only doing it for a few mins here and there when it got warm enough out to piddle with it, it took around a month to do.

The shoulder planes, they went pretty fast and most of it was grinding to shape and such, which I did in 3-4 hours, laying out and doodling up the plans took maybe an hour or two, probably 30 mins of cutting everything up on the power hacksaw, then probably 2-3 hours doing up the fixturing and such on the mill to cut the slots for everything, 2-3 hours of file work to get the blade pockets just right, then clamping finger probably took 3-4 hours between the grinding and work on the shaper to clean them up and get them to shape. It took maybe an hour at most to do the knobs, and that was about it really, the blades were already roughed out because of being extras I made for the plow plane I was working on, and needed maybe 15 mins of grinding to get them ready to the point they're ready for heat treat. Heat treatment will take maybe 5 mins to harden, then 30 mins in the toaster oven to temper, lol.

Over all, they probably took the same amount of time to do both of the planes as it did to do the one miter plane tbh. I think it took longer than it needed to because I kept getting side tracked and would piddle here and there and go look up those other carving planes/spoon planes, lol.

That little throw around plane, the trim plane, I'd say I did all of the grinding on that one in maybe an hour or two and infill took maybe 2 or 3 hours to do since it was alot of fiddly work to get everything just right and be a press fit together.

Chisels took maybe an hour to do up, they go pretty quickly, then the handles, since I was batching them out, I can usually knock one of those out in 10-15 mins, with a few days of shellac and sanding.

It really didnt take that long to do, and they're pretty easy to do once you get the idea in your head, but it just takes alot of grinding, filing, and alot of running back and forth between the garage, shed, shop, and workbench in the basement, lol. Imo, the most time was just with pickling, filing, and grinding on the stuff, and waiting on shellac to dry completely in between the layers, which happens pretty quickly, but first coat, I usually just leave drying overnight.
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

Really, I just want to make my life easier for making patterns with, so Ive been making up these planes, but even if I dont use them, I know some of them are quite expensive to buy, so I can always turn around and sell them if something comes up and I need the money. So Ive been looking at them as both a useful tool that I can use for the patternmaking stuff, and as a future investment really for later on down the road if something happens.

I know of a place that buys and sells hand planes, so I know I can take the stuff out there to sell the stuff, and I know he's good about his prices for stuff too, which Im always out there buying stuff from him anyhow, lol. If you ever get the chance and are interested in this stuff, I would check it out, it's called "colonial homestead". It's out towards millersburg area, but he has woodworking stuff, flintlock/gunsmithing stuff, blacksmithing stuff, machining stuff, etc, pretty much anything from 1700s-1920s that you can think of, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WZA_gIBrJE

It has really grown since that video and there is probably 3x as many planes and various tools in there now vs what you see in the video. Just know that there is serious sticker shock, so it is expensive, but if you look at getting new ones or even used ones, the prices really arent bad at all tbh. I go out there to get bags of shellac flakes and such, which is half price of what I would get it for online tbh. The one doctor we go to is in mt hope, which is 15 miles away from that place, so we go out that way once in a while, lol.

But yea, I know he would be interested in a few of the planes I have, so if something ever happens, I know where I can take the stuff to. As big as that place is and how well it's known, I cant see that going anywhere for a very very long time, lol.
greentwin

Post by greentwin »

Those are fine looking planes.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Wow, I get over to Millersburg a few times a year but I never knew that place was there. There's someone in Ottawa Ohio that has, what looks like about 100+ anvils plus vises and forges. Not sure what his prices are. Anvils seem to have gone from $3 to $10 a pound plus.

Return to “Corner for the Creative”