where is everybody?

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
dallen

Re: where is everybody?

Post by dallen »

I guess getting someone to do a casting for you they would have to know what it is? and how big it is, before they jump in on something that they may not be able to do.
And sometimes smart ass comments can just make the day seen a better place.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I wish I had more experience with brass, I would give it a shot but from what I remember of what you were after it seemed like it would be something that would take pretty good knowledge of bronze casting and a fairly large somewhat complex mold.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Not to hijack and perhaps I should create a post here for it....

I was/am looking for someone to cast a cylinder a little over 8" tall with a 14" diameter. Finish dimensions would be 8" tall x 13.875" diameter x 3 or 4 mm thick. I wouldn't mind a shorter one either...

Harry, I believe you provided me with a quantity for how much material I'd need. I have around 50 lbs of bronze in the form of broken cymbals which should be twice the amount necesary.

I am looking to make a musical drum out of this.

I do have one interested over at BYMC or AA I guess it is now. But he is pretty far away and wants to experiment with aluminum first.

As far as the comments, that seems to be the one thing I can consistently provide....
dallen

Post by dallen »

not to butt in but the person to talk to would probably be HT1 thats about all he works with is brass

If my memory serves me right cymbals aren't your everyday run of the mill brass either

Peedee

Post by Peedee »

I'm still luking, not had much time for casting but have a new setup planned for building over the winter.

(My idea of timescale and how quickly things actually happen is slightly distorted!)
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

dallen wrote:not to butt in but the person to talk to would probably be HT1 thats about all he works with is brass

If my memory serves me right cymbals aren't your everyday run of the mill brass either
Thanks, I'll look him up...
_FL_

Post by _FL_ »

I'm sure nobody missed me too. Since accomplishing the technical side of metal casting for myself I lost a little interest. :|

Edit: Ooops! Didn´t recognized HT1´s furnace Question till now... Promise to answer soon.
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

We are all still around. Personally, life seems to be getting in the way of fun, and work is having to come first. I will try to poke my head in from time to time tho!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I lurk once in awhile too. My current living situation keeps me from doing any sort of casting....or really any other workshop type hobbies.

I don't have any sort of workshop to speak of, and have no idea when that will change :(
dallen

Post by dallen »

workshop, whats a workshop. I park my toys wherever I find room for em.